Skip to main content

Session with Teresa, Beth and other MA students.

At this midpoint of the process, Teresa and Beth got all the students from MA Performance and Choreography together in order to share our progress so far. We were paired with someone from the opposite course to us (I was paired with Elenor from the MA Choreography course) and we were asked to give a detailed description of what we had in mind for our projects so far. Once we had both done this in our pairs, we would have to do a short presentation about our partners' work and answer questions from Teresa and Beth - so it was important to listen carefully to Elenor, and also to try and communicate my ideas to her as clearly as possible. Teresa and Beth also asked us to tell our partners a bit of background context about our practice, in order to help them understand where this new project placed within it.

I told Elenor about my previous explorations with walking practice, my inspirations (Marina Abramovic, Adrian Howells and Rosana Cade), and I explained my thoughts regarding my project so far. I described the centre of the performance as an 'instillational hub'. This will be a studio space where videos of my previous walking explorations will be playing, and this blog showing my process will be available for participants to access. There will also be the opportunity for participants to do an audio walk, where they will listen to pre-recorded instructions whilst doing a walk around the campus, and they will be asked to answer some questions which will also be displayed in the studio space when they return.

This exercise was interesting as it meant that Elenor pointed out things that were unclear about my description and asked questions that I had to make decisions for the work in order to answer them. This was also the first time that I had spoken to anyone about my ideas for my project in full, so it was great to receive some feedback and suggestions from Elenor, Teresa and Beth.

Comments